Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A New Home

After nine hours of traveling I arrived home to a new roommate and closet space. It's been quite an adventure! One of the most interesting experiences was standing in the queue for the taxi at the airport. A "hustler" walked up to me and asked me in English where I was going. I showed him my destination's address written on a sheet of paper in Chinese characters and he looked at me and offered to take me to my destination for 100 元(Kuai). I looked at him and said "100 元?! 我的朋友告诉我45元少不多.太 贵了!" Basically, I said that my friend told me it should only cost 45 Kuai. He was too expensive. He looked at me, muttered 45 元 to himself and walked away. The legitimate taxi lady ended up taking 45 minutes and 50 元 to get me to my new home. It's nice not to get hosed in Chinese.

My apartment is PHAT! Do people still say that?

My new apartment is 19 floors up and has a very nice view of the city. There is central heat. There is a Western toilet. I have closets. There is a stove. It's a really nice apartment. 看一看:


8 comments:

-the kids said...

Your apartment is PHAT. True da yo.
Although if your from Rhode Island, everything is "wicked" so your apartment is WICKED. :D

Enjoy!!!

Dezare' said...

Is this La Femme Nikita's old apartment? Excellent! I love the lighting and the CLOSET!!! (Do you get my reference? Her apartment was amazing. Not that she actually exists or anything...)

Sally Chen said...

love your new crib! what city are you in now??? i remember that when i was little, i lived on the 30th floor of a high-rise apartment building in shanghai! maybe i've been living in the u.s. for too long, when i went back to china, i got nervous staying at high-rise hotel rooms...but man, your new home is indeed impressive! oh, stop coming up with "excuses" for not writing emails...hahaha!

Frank said...

你的家是好看的。

Disney said...

谢谢你们帮助我们。

Anonymous said...

Hi Disney,

I like your new place! It looks very contemporary! I also like the colors of the chairs around the table (orange & green). What is that machine with the clear blue glass lid? Is that your washing machine? Later.

N from the ATL

mandachino said...

love the place! Everything worked out just as it should have, mmmm, wonder why? love ya

Suzanne Allain said...

Love your new place, but what's with the dozens of beer bottles lined up behind you in your new self-portrait? You haven't been driven to drink by homesickness, have you?

Also, you never told us what decision you reached. Did you decide to work or teach? We're in suspense over here.

Miss you more than you know.