Buses actually run more efficiently here than in any other city I've ever lived and are much cheaper. In my home city of Miami it was a little difficult and time consuming to take public transportation. The same went for Tallahassee and Atlanta.
Here in China buses run every 5 minutes (for some reason though they are still always crowded) and to travel from one end of the city to the other will only cost 2 Yuan ($0.2927 US) if one doesn't have a bus card. I do have a bus card though so it only costs me half of that, about $0.15 US, for the trip.
When I first moved here, 3 1/2 weeks ago I took taxis everywhere because I didn't know my way around. Nowadays, I'll take a taxi only out of necessity because it can cost more than 5 times the bus fare. I'm trying to save as much money as possible and actually like the bus riding experience so I've weaned myself off of taxis. I'm learning to maneuver my way around the city using the bus. It's understandable if I make mistakes from time to time as I sort it all out.
One of my many mistakes happened last week. I was running late for work (as usual) and had completely missed my stop on the bus. I therefore found myself late and lost. I was desperate for a taxi but there seemed to be none passing. A man pulls up on a motorcycle and offers to take me to my destination for a small fee. I didn't want to ride on his motorcycle so I tried to sike him out and tell him that I didn't understand - 听不懂! (ting bu dong) He looked at me and said 你听懂! ("You do understand me!") How did he know I was faking it?!?!?! I looked down, shrugged and said 对我听懂。多少钱? ("Yes, you're right, I understand you. How much?") as I hopped on the back of his 摩托车.
I can be such a dork. :-) I can't pretend to be ignorant when I should and I am ignorant when I shouldn't be. No matter. I'm alive still and only out 10 元。
5 comments:
You have done something I have not experienced, or had the guts to do. Congrats on getting there alive.
Frank, if I were you, a boy/man, I wouldn't have ridden on the back of the motorcycle either.好像很奇怪。这是我的看法。
Obviously, I've missed a lot! Umm...when when exactly did you become Disney? (It suits you!)
Girl!! More power to you. How exciting! Now I have one more person to live vicariously through. ;o)
I have a million questions?????????
Take care, I'll stay posted if you stay posted! Luvya lots!
lol!! you are more adventurous than you think. Hilarious about the motorcycle guy-he not believing you would so happen to you! :)I am so glad that things are going well there and excited for you! I love that you are courageous like that. Inspring! (cheesy, yeah so!lol)
Bianca
Hi Disney,
I'm so glad to see that you are back to posting! As you can see, there was quite an uproar when we thought you had left. I'm glad that you are feeling better and that they classes are going well. I think the guy on the motorcycle did not believe you because, besides knowing how to say, "I don't understand" in Chinese (which I wouldn't have known), you probably said the Chinese words with the proper inflection/tone/accent and that is probably what gave you away. On the positive side, this means that the classes are working! :-)
N from the ATL
Post a Comment