My title, it's a Martin reference...
Anyways, it can be a little hard here getting work. Harder than I expected. As far as I know, in China, as my fellow bloggers have noted, there is nothing resembling an Equal Employment Opportunity Commision (EEOC). So obtaining employment at a local company might have more to do with looking the part than anything else. As Frank said in his post, Cody Joins the Darkside, some of us don't look like "typical" westerners so it's a little harder for us to find suitable employment. It's not impossible to find. It's just harder. You just need to have patience, persistence and most importantly Providence (or guanxi, 关系) and as I've said before - my very big family has got a lot of 关系.
With the help of others I was able to find a job as soon as I arrived. I work 4 - 5 hours a week and make enough to cover all of my living expenses while here. My work is great! I still teach English, American English, to children. It really isn't hard work. My students range in age from 2 - 13. The younger ones are the cutest things in the world and their parents are so great - so far. They have a lot of energy and can be a handful in class but they look cute while terrorizing me and that more than makes up for it.
Please meet some of my kids. We went to the park to fly kites and play games. These are the kinds of things they pay me for.
6 comments:
It is awesome that you already have a job. I know what you mean about loving the kids. I love mine too. I am actually looking forward to getting back to teaching them after our holiday.
the kids are adorable! Do you have a teacher's aid or you handle your the kidlets all by yourself?...by the way, New kids are coming back to ATL! totally going to see them.
later
B
B, I thought NKOTB gave up their attempts at a comeback! Enjoy the concert. I'll read up on it.
Oh I think John Legend is coming to China. I'm so NOT going to attend but still it's something to write home about.
The kids are cute! Glad you're able to have fun while you work!
N from the ATL
N sweetie, I heard your Mom called my Mom. It's so cool how long we've been friends. Miss you sweetie.
The Kids are TOO CUTE! Glad to hear you have work.. : )
Kel
Post a Comment