- People in China aren't uniform and come in different sizes so clothes shopping here isn't impossible.
- I've been able to meet people that I hope I was able to help in some way. I might have even made friendships that could last forever.
- My oral Chinese hasn't improved tremendously but my reading and writing skills have taken off.
- It takes the isolation to reinforce how much you need your friends.
- Remember to laugh at yourself and your mistakes.
- Remember to be kind and open with the locals. When they stare smile and say "你好". A kind word goes a long way in breaking down barriers.
- Don't be quick to take offense. If you aren't careful you'll mistake curiosity for rudeness, shyness for coldness, and bad English for bias. :-)
- Good remedy for homesickness is to remember for whose sake you left your land, house, mother, father, brother, sisters (one who's pregnant), niece and nephews. It's hard to be gone but it's rewarding to be here.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Keen Observations
When I told my Chinese friends I was coming to Linyi many asked "Lin - what?" Even to many native Chinese Linyi is a small, "insignificant" town. I was told that if I could survive Linyi then it would be a cinch for me to survive in any other city. I'm not so sure about that but I do know that life here wasn't extremely difficult. In fact during my first (nearly) two months in China, while living in Linyi, I've learned and experienced quite a few things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
This is one of my favorite post yet. What a nice outlook you have. Thanks for sharing!
And thank you so much for posting. :-)
This is great! You are right about mistaking staring for rudeness etc. I need to work on that. You are also right on the squat toilets! Not so bad and the handle is essential! Congrats on your progress and best wishes in your new home!
mandachino
Very insightful. What wonderful things you've learned! Will we even recognize such a wise sage as you've become when you return to us?
We're not worthy, we're not worthy! (Where is that from, btw? A movie? Paul and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Do you think I'm insane? Maybe you don't even get the reference. I am a few months older than you.)
It's pretty sad that you have such wise things to say and this is my lame excuse for a post. I'll try to do better.
:)
BTW, they do say that squat toilets are much better for your health for some reason. Apparently we lazy westerners are doing some sort of damage to our bowels by sitting when we should be squatting.
(Now I've redeemed myself with my insightful toilet comment. Or not.)
Hi Disney,
I'm glad that you are looking at the glass as being "half-full!" :-) I hope that you have a safe journey to your next destination. Talk to you later.
N from the ATL
Suzy you are sooooo silly!
Wonderful thoughtful insights. thank you for writing them! and to echo your friend Suzy there..yes, squat toilets are healthier. Google it and there is even a page with illustrations. (!!!) LOL.
Take care & keep us posted!
Kelly & Joel
Marcia! Goodness and wow. I am so happy, i shed a tear or two or three catching up on your post. I am so proud of you and very inspired. You go girl!!! I miss you. Glad your there being so awesome.
I like that even when you have conflicts there, they have a grand purpose. Which from my perspective seems so much more tolerable and rewarding when you make it through. Maybe i'm wrong. Maybe i'm right.
Post a Comment