Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Transistions

In ten days I will be leaving Linyi. As a result I find myself making preparations to move once again. Because Linyi's airport is so small there are very few direct flights to major cities and absolutely none to any minor cities. This means I would have to purchase two full-price tickets to get to where I'm going. The total cost would be a little more than I can afford right now. Getting to my final destination will require me taking a 5 hour bus ride from Linyi into the city of Jinan. Sleeping overnight in the city and then flying out of the Jinan airport the next day.

Because this is a domestic flight within mainland China the luggage weight requirements are significantly less than they were for international flights. I spent $200 on over the limit fees coming into the country (I was weighed down by such things as a year's worth of hair products) and I would rather not waste money like that again. I've been trying desperately to use up much of my hair products, toiletries, etc. since I discovered that I could buy these things cheaply in China and wouldn't have to lug them around with me all over the mainland. Despite all my best efforts I will still have to use an on the ground courier service that will take 3 days to ship most of my luggage from Linyi at a total cost of 50 Yuan.

When I arrive at my new destination I am scheduled to begin taking day courses in the Chinese language at a major university. I'm also scheduled to begin working days at a high school. There's a bit of a scheduling conflict.

The university has a dorm room reserved. The high school provides housing for teachers. In addition, my friend and I are supposed to move into an off campus apartment together. There's a bit of a housing conflict.

If I go to school then I can't take the job and can't afford the apartment. If I take the job then I can't go to school. Besides, I wouldn't want to pay for an apartment when I have free housing.

Basically, I don't know what I'm doing.

2 comments:

Sally Chen said...

OMG! What city are you going to? What happened to your FB profile~~thought we just became friends on FB, but I can no longer see you on my profile...
Tell me more, tell me more...depending on where you are going, I might be able to help with your housing "crisis"...let me know, let me know...

Love,
sally

Disney said...

Don't worry Sally. I'm well taken care of. It's not that I don't have any options. Right now I have too many options to sort through - that's my problem. Thanks for the concern though. I'll keep you posted.

Oh and I got off FB. I'm not hip enough for it.