Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Did I Just Say?


My trip to Qingdao won't be until tomorrow morning and my roommates left last Friday so for the past few days I've been left alone to read, study, and watch all ten seasons of the television show Friends on DVD. Have I ever mentioned that I don't like the television show Friends?

I began to suffer from cabin fever after two days of not leaving the apartment and decided to do like Frank and Mandy and go out to practice my Chinese with the Linyi人. The first day was not so good but I did get into a very short conversation with a postal clerk to inquire about my mail. Then later with the Baker at the supermarket when I asked her where in the world were the ji dan bing (the only food that I know how to order at the supermarket). No ji dan bing but she sold me her kidney or a steamed bun. Who knows what I bought?

Today I decided to try again. I got all dolled up, make-up and all (well really it was just mascara) because if I'm going to be the only black person some ever see then I'm going to represent, represent (fist bumps, head waving). Okay just kidding. No really. Just kidding.

Anyways, I decided that I was going to set a goal for myself and try to have a conversation with at least one person on the street in Chinese only. There are only a few things that have stopped me from doing this before. I am actually shy, proud, and can't speak Chinese. I called my father long distance and spoke to him about it. He of course listened as he so lovingly does and gave me the wisdom and the boldness to make it happen.

I set out for a walk down "??? Feng Lu" towards the River. I did get into a short tete-a-tete with a woman by the riverside but that was in English so no dice. On the way back though I struck gold. I met an older woman walking with her grandson. She stopped and began talking to me. I had absolutely no idea what she was saying "Ting bu dong, ting bu dong" but did that stop her? Nope. She continued and so did I. I think she was talking about my hair or the sea or fishing in Arkansas. Who knows? She smiled and said good-bye after she realized I was ignorant and continued along her merry way. This trainwreck of a conversation rather than discourage me instead emboldened me to try one more time.

I passed a chaguan (tea house) on the first leg of my walk and it looked kind of fancy with a guard posted outside. I approached the guard and began to wax poetic. We talked about the state of world affairs and the possibility of scientific advancement improving conditions on earth. LOL! Just kidding. I asked him what the building was - restaurant or teahouse? He told me. I asked him if it was expensive. He said not at all. I asked him if I could kan yi kan (take a look). He said dangran keyi (of course you can)! I said Woo hoo. You understand me sir! You understand me and I understand you!

It doesn't take much to make me happy or make me smile with glee!

6 comments:

Alan said...

That's so awesome! Congratulations. I was just talking with a friend the other day about cultivating the right attitude toward being outgoing and willing to make mistakes. That's so great. It will take you no time to be comfortable and fluent if you maintain that kind of attitude. Your enthusiasm is contagious. That's SO COOL!

Frank said...

你去奴人!

Dezare' said...

Awesome! Your boldness inspires. And I'm sure the lady was indeed speaking of fishing in Arkansas - HOT TOPIC among the older Chinese.

Karaku said...

Hi Dear, keep on trying in Qingdao!

Disney said...

Frank- LOL! LOL! That's hilarious! Unless of course you didn't mean it as a joke but still I thought it was funny.

Dezare - Girl! I know it's amazing how familiar they all are with Arkansas.

Alan - Can't wait to hear your stories!

Karaku - Girl, Thank you sooooo much for Qingdao!

Disney said...

Frank - Okay that was not so funny. I was thinking the other "nuren" as in 女人。And thought you meant "You go girl".

Anyways, a proper reply would be: Iron sharpens Iron.

Jiayou.