When I asked the students about the origin of many of their holidays they couldn’t tell me. I believe that in this way our cultures are the same. Sometimes people don't know why but they still do. No matter, by the end of the lesson my students had way more than a superficial knowledge of many American customs.
Pictured Below from left to right: Sandy - Chinese Teacher; Want – the Dancer; Tina – the Prodigy; Daisy – the Actress; Kirsty – the Thinker and moi
In observance of the Spring Festival my school will be shutting down for a week starting tomorrow and ending January 30th. That means that I may not be able to log on to the Internet as often as I have become reliant on my school’s stable network connection.
On the upside I will be traveling! Yay! I will take a short (4 hour) bus ride to the supposedly beautiful seaside city of Qingdao. I want to see what all the hype is about. :-) I’m actually really looking forward to this mini-vacation and all the new faces I hope to see. Maybe I’ll see some people that I have lots in common with.
Oh yeah, one more thing. I am finally caught up with my reading! You don't know how happy I am about that. It's amazing how you can read this one book over and over again and each time come up with something new and relevant. It all depends on where you are in life. I suppose.
5 comments:
Wow!! Those are great discussions! Enjoy your time off!
N from the ATL
Thanks so much N for continuing to read. It feels so good to know that I have friends out there that care. :-)
Isn't it great when you can explain things the way they truly are? Refreshing! Hope you enjoy the seaside! Is it supposed to be warm? Have you tried ginger tea for the stomach issues? Fresh Ginger steeped in water. Add coke and simmer. It tastes great and is supposed to calm the stomach. Hope it helps. Love ya!
Mandy,
What a great sounding recipe. I will most definitely try it out. Actually, health wise I've been pretty good. Besides that one little case of illness which wouldn't even have been worth a mention if I were back home I've been pretty good.
I've heard it's going to be cold when I travel like it is here in Linyi so I get no respite in that way. But I know I'm going to be burning in my heart. :-)
ok, the kid sitting in the middle in the picture doesn't look too happy...what happened to her?
-sally
Post a Comment