Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Apartment






I am living in a modern apartment building. Here are some specs:
My apartment is shared with two other co-workers; both are the managers at the English language school. One is the Chinese manager and the other is the English manager. The English manager hails from Ireland and the Chinese manager is from Xi’an in Shaanxi province. We have separate bedrooms but share the bathroom and shower room.
The apartment bathroom has a Western toilet but we still have to put the used toilet paper in a basket rather than flush it down the toilet. The bathroom has a smell to it that I don’t think words can accurately describe but my roommates attribute it to a broken pipe that the building manager will have to fix.
The kitchen doesn’t have a fridge, oven, or a range but there is an induction stove that the managers purchased prior to my arrival. I don’t know what to do with it and I haven’t observed them using it so I’ll continue to eat out everyday until I can figure it out.
The living room has a fridge, TV, DVD player and a couch. The first day I sat on the couch and watched a movie but I haven’t been back since. My room is much warmer and I’m bootlegging someone’s Internet connection in my bedroom so I haven’t really felt a need to go out there.
The shower room is a room with a shower in it. It’s a huge room and could probably fit a small family of four if need be. This is my second favorite room because there is hot water here. When temperatures outside are in the teen’s it’s nice to be able to come home and take a hot shower pile on layers of clothing and then lie down on top of the electric blanket in front of the oscillating space heater.
My bedroom is next to the laundry room. It’s a room with a view. Since I live on the 25th floor I have a nearly unobstructed view of the entire city of Linyi (that is, when the pollution clouds aren’t too thick). At night the view is really very pretty. The city is obviously not concerned with their electric bill because the entire city gets lit it. Perhaps there are more lights now due to the nearing of China’s Spring Festival. Whatever the case, everything is lit up and it’s quite a sight to see from my bedroom every night.

8 comments:

Karaku said...

I like the green color! I miss you!

Karaku said...

I miss ya! I like the color of the living room.

Meechelay said...

Ah Disney! It looks quite nice :)

Disney said...

Meechelay it's really not too shabby. Can't wait until you come and visit! :-)

Disney said...

Karaku,

I like the green color too. It's Linty Fresh! LOL!

mandachino said...

Hey, love the apt. Your couch matches my kitchen cabinets and chairs. Bright and cheerful! Have you found those little plug-in hand warmers yet? It has liquid inside that stays warm for over an hour. They come in very handy. Try Wally World or Carrefour. Should be at street markets too.

Anonymous said...

I like the green too! It makes the place look nice and cheery! :-) From N. in the ATL

Dezare' said...

Looks great! So happy you have a western toilet :)