Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dancing in the Park






Chinese people are shy or so they would have you believe. A Chinese friend and I were walking in the park when we happened on a group of women doing a form of line dancing. It was so cute to see the synchronized kicking and shimmying and sliding. If it weren't for the distinctly Chinese music I could have mistaken it for some variation of the Electric Slide. After gawking for a few seconds I reasoned that this would be a good way for me to try fit in so I jumped in and started flapping around.

My friend said that it isn't like Western culture where people get really into their dancing. But I explained that it isn't common for people to dance and/or sing in groups in the park in the parts of America that I'm familiar with. Maybe I just don't know enough about Western culture to be dispensing that kind of information. Maybe things have changed in the five months since I've been here and people are actually like the characters in Sound of Music or High School Musical.

7 comments:

Frank said...

The line dancing is one of my favorite things in China.

Sally Chen said...

omg, Deniece, you blended in so well that i couldn't tell you apart from the rest of the group :)

Disney said...

For real Sally?!?!?

Sally Chen said...

DUH! I was trying to maintain a healthy level of sarcasm...hahaha

Jamika said...

Hello Deniece, I have throughly enjoyed your experience, and I hope you had fun line dancing. I just recently figured out how to post a comment, sorry about my slowness and I miss you.

Ms Marie said...

Well wouldn't you know NYC is blocking off part of Times Square for, in among other things, mass public yoga. HSM style dancing can't be far behind. :)

Bianca said...

U did blend in pretty well. How are things there? Is school out for summer yet there?

Hi, by the way!! :)

Bianca